Friday, November 14, 2008

New work in Blackbird today ...


Check it out here.

I was happy to get work accepted, but I'm happier still seeing the company ... The issue is a veritable roll call of Hollinsites, with fiction by Lee Smith (Hollins class of '67), a memoir by Constance Adler (who was in my '99 M.A. program and who I haven't seen in years! So happy to see she's still writing!) and poetry by Jeanne Larsen (Hollins class of '72, and one of my favorite professors ever ... not just a wonderful poet and novelist, but one of the world's genuinely kind and generous people). It's enough to bring out my school spirit.

Also: Bruce Weigl. No Hollins connection I know of, though the Hollins Critic included a good essay about his work way back in '94. But Weigl is one of the poets I discovered in grad school, and much of his work just stuns me. Go find and read "What Saves Us" and see what you think.

And Angela, thanks for the picture!

5 comments:

sam of the ten thousand things said...

"Archimedes under Myronas" is a great piece, MC. Especially liked stanzas 2 and 4. Congratulations.

M. C. Allan (Carrie, to most) said...

thanks so much, Sam. nice of you to drop by and read the piece!

Anonymous said...

Excellent work, M.C.

Maggie May said...

"He turned a mirror toward the sun
and on the sea armed ships burst into flame."

holy guacamole that line is awesome.
i saw it and felt it.

great work, and congratulations!

M. C. Allan (Carrie, to most) said...

thanks, Maggie. I feel like I can't take credit for that; it's one of the apocryphal stories about Archimedes. Probably never happened, but a pretty astounding image ... someone should put it in a movie.